Homeowner’s Tip: Keep the Holiday Cheer by Keeping your Pipes Clear!
‘Tis the season for extra visitors in your home, whether it be family visiting or if you hosting a fabulous holiday party with some friends. And just as the highways will increase in traffic, your home’s pipes will also have more traffic, and we want to give you some preventative tips to reduce the risk of traffic jams.
There is always that one family member who foolishly puts 10 pounds of potato skins down the disposal, and it’s always a nightmare! In the next few weeks, you and your kitchen are probably working on overtime, and your pipes will be working just as hard! If you are unsure of how to care for your garbage disposal or kitchen sink check out our blog on Disposal Care.
But here is a shortlist of the Kitchen Dos and Don’ts:
- Don’t put anything down the disposal that you wouldn’t feed to a baby
- Don’t put anything down the disposal that you wouldn’t put in a blender
- Don’t put any grease, oils, or fats down the disposal!
- This will cause instant clogs in your pipes, and even faster in our cold northern Nevada temperatures during the Fall/Winter months.
- Utilize a drain trap! That’s a sure way to prevent clogs in your sink!
- Scrape as much food as you can in the trash can first!
It is probably one of everyone’s worst nightmares, using the restroom during a party and the bathroom clogs! To save your guests the embarrassment and the hassle of you dealing with a major party fail here are some helpful preventative tips:
- Supply a lower ply of toilet paper.
- Sometimes the thickness of the toilet paper can even cause a clog, and if you plan to have a lot of people at your house and have limited bathrooms available, toilet paper can easily cause clogs.
- Post a sign asking guests to refrain from flushing anything other than toilet paper down the drain.
- Check out our full list of the rules of flushing in our Homeowner’s Tip: What Not to Flush
- Have your clean up items readily available in case a clog happens while you are hosting so can quickly manage the issue and get back to the party.
But if a crisis happens to hit, we have 24/7 Emergency Services and we’re here to help solve your issue!
Call us at (775) 828-4193 and one of the trusted and skilled plumbing technicians will be there to help!
Tags: Bathroom Clog, bathroom fixtures, bathroom remodel, bathtub, cleankitchen, cloggedtoilet, DIY, Emergency Plumber, homeowner tip, homeowner's tip, kitchen fixtures, kitchen remodel, kitchen sink, Kitchen Sink Clog, Nevada's Oldest Contractor, Northern Nevada Plumber, plumbing fixture showroom, plumbingissue, remodel, Reno, Reno Plumber, renoplumber, savage and son, shower, TheSavageWay, toilet, water heater